Sumac lamb chops with crushed caramelised onion potatoes
These chops are perfect for a barbecue. The lamb is grilled simply and the sumac does all the talking on the hot cooked chops, imparting an earthy tangy flavour. Perfect paired with these crushed, sweet caramelised potatoes.
Preparation time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Serves: Serves 4
For the crushed potatoes
1kg/2lb 4oz potatoes, cut into 2cm/1in cubes
4 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced (approx. 400g/14oz)
¼ tsp fine salt
1 tsp light brown sugar
For the lamb chops
8 large lamb chops
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2–3 tbsp sumac
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 1–2 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- For the lamb chops, bash the meat with a mallet or rolling pin to thin it out. Put the chops on a plate, drizzle with the oil and season well with salt.
- Fry the chops over a high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Place them on a baking tray and sprinkle both sides with the sumac. Cover with kitchen foil and keep them warm.
- To make the potatoes, wipe any burnt bits from the pan, then add the oil and place over a medium heat. Add the onions, salt and sugar and cook for 15 minutes, or until golden, caramelised and soft.
- Crush the potatoes lightly using the back of a fork and add to the onions. Mix through, then cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the edges are just crisp. Serve with the chops.