A Standard Eight pupil at Getembe Primary School, Nyamira, was Wednesday electrocuted to death. The pupil who was sitting for his Kenya Certificate of Primary Education exams was  out on lunch break at the time of the incident.

Reports indicate the boy had climbed a water tank and in the process touch hanging live wires and got electrocuted.

He was rushed to a local dispensary where he passed on as he received treatment. His body has now been moved to Nyamira Hospital mortuary for autopsy.

According to the teachers at the school, he was a bright student and they had high hopes that he would perform well in the national exams.

Nyamira County Commissioner Amos Mariba confirmed the incident and said police have opened an investigation into the matter.