Preparation time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Serves: Serves 4
For the crushed potatoes
1kg/2lb 4oz potatoes, cut into 2cm/1in cubes
4 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced (approx. 400g/14oz)
¼ tsp fine salt
1 tsp light brown sugar
For the lamb chops
8 large lamb chops
5 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2–3 tbsp sumac
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 1–2 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- For the lamb chops, bash the meat with a mallet or rolling pin to thin it out. Put the chops on a plate, drizzle with the oil and season well with salt.
- Fry the chops over a high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Place them on a baking tray and sprinkle both sides with the sumac. Cover with kitchen foil and keep them warm.
- To make the potatoes, wipe any burnt bits from the pan, then add the oil and place over a medium heat. Add the onions, salt and sugar and cook for 15 minutes, or until golden, caramelised and soft.
- Crush the potatoes lightly using the back of a fork and add to the onions. Mix through, then cook for 10–15 minutes, or until the edges are just crisp. Serve with the chops.