Cleaning products that will affect your family's health
The most important unit in life is family. After a tiresome day, everybody wishes to retire home and bond with this unconditionally loving people. Now imagine endangering these precious ones
The most important unit in life is family. After a tiresome day, everybody wishes to retire home and bond with this unconditionally loving people. Now imagine endangering these precious ones by exposing them to cancer and breathing problems through the unconscious purchase of cleaning products containing hazardous ingredients.
Kenya Chemical Society has brought to the attention of Kenyans to keep families and homes safe with report findings that even though most household cleaning products and pesticides are safe when properly used, there are also potential risks.
Watch out for the following cleansers which are connected with various susceptibilities.
Mixing certain toilet cleaners and washing detergents currently in the market could produce chlorine gas, which can be fatal.
Oven cleaners contain lye, which is extremely corrosive and can burn your skin and eyes and cause severe tissue damage, can be fatal when swallowed. Non-toxic oven cleaners are available.
Automatic and hand dishwashing detergents contain phosphate, known to produce skin irritations or burns, and may be poisonous if swallowed.
KCS advise that air fresheners should not be sprayed near open flames and should only be used in ventilated areas. Better still, baking soda, which is not toxic, can be used as an alternative.
The study also noted that swimming pool chlorine tablets contain calcium and sodium hypochlorite in higher concentration than those found in other household cleaners. Before they are diluted, these can cause breathing problems and a burning sensation to the eyes and skin. If swallowed, the chemicals can be fatal.
Used motor oil may also be contaminated with magnesium, copper, zinc and other heavy metals deposited from the engine. These can cause nerve and kidney damage and are suspected to cause cancer.
Children’s exposure levels are higher than adults because their bodies are smaller so the concentration is stronger plus their immune system is also still developing.