Love is in the air. It is the month we celebrate valentine and an easy romantic meal will do for lunch, or better still dinner.
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon molasses
• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
• 2 chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
• 8 medium button mushrooms, halved
• Half green pepper cut into cubes
• ½ onion cut into cubes
• ½ tomato cut into cubes
• Seasoning (optional)
1.Combine soy sauce, wine, sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup for two to three minutes. Remove from the heat, pour into a medium bowl, and cool to room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Reserve one tablespoon of the sauce in a small bowl. Add chicken and mushrooms to the remaining sauce; stir well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack.
4. Pierce the chicken, mushrooms and the vegetables alternately in two skewers.
5. Grill the skewers, basting (moisten) with some of the reserved sauce, for three minutes. Turn, baste, and continue grilling just until the chicken is cooked for about three minutes.
6. Once ready, serve hot with an accompaniment of choice. For example noodles, rice, mashed potatoes or even mukimo.
7. Garnish with whole red cherries, after all, they say, red is the colour of love.