Matoke, also known as green bananas or plantains, are a popular ingredient in Kenyan cuisine. This recipe combines the delicious flavour of matoke with a creamy sauce for a delightful Kenyan dish. Here’s how to make creamy matoke:
– 4-5 ripe matoke (green bananas or plantains)
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 red bell pepper, diced
– 2 tomatoes, diced
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons cooking oil
– 1 teaspoon curry powder
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Fresh coriander or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Matoke:
– Peel the matoke and cut them into thick slices or chunks. Place them in a bowl of water to prevent browning while you prepare the sauce.
- Sauté the Aromatics:
– Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat.
– Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent and starts to turn golden.
– Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add the Spices:
– Sprinkle the curry powder, turmeric, and paprika over the sautéed onion and garlic. Stir well to coat the spices evenly.
- Add the Vegetables:
– Add the diced red bell pepper and tomatoes to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables soften and release their juices.
- Simmer the Matoke:
– Drain the matoke slices and add them to the pan. Stir to combine them with the aromatic and vegetable mixture.
– Pour in the heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to ensure the matoke are coated with the creamy sauce.
- Cover and Cook:
– Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the matoke simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and to ensure even cooking. The matoke should become tender and absorb the Flavors of the sauce.
– Once the matoke are soft and the sauce has thickened, remove the pan from the heat.
– Serve your creamy matoke hot, garnished with fresh coriander or parsley if desired.
Creamy matoke makes a wonderful side dish or can be served with rice, chapati, or your Favorite Kenyan main course. Enjoy your Kenyan-style creamy matoke!