Chapati, originally an Indian cuisine has gained popularity in Kenya and other parts of East Africa. The trick to making the perfect chapatis lies in the preparation process. The dough is everything!! The softer it is, the softer the chapatis. Don’t worry though because we have your back. Here is our simple guideline to scrumptious soft-layered chapatis.
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups of slightly hot water
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sugar
Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, measure 5 cups of flour.
- In another bowl mix salt, sugar, 2tbps of oil and 1 cup of water. Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Create a small hole/well, in the center of the flour mix.
- Pour ¾ cup of hot water gradually into the flour hole/well and add the salt mix. Use your hands or spoon to mix. Add more hot water as you mix until the consistency is such that you can begin to knead the dough.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the dough mixture and knead it gently, until it is soft and pliable. Note: The dough should not be non-sticky or dry.
- Cover the dough with a lid or a damp cloth for 20 to 25 minutes and keep it aside.
- After the above, slightly knead the dough again and then divide it into equal sized balls.
- Place the balls one by one on the rolling board, flatten them and dust with some flour. Take the flattened chapati, then roll it from one end to the other. When done, it should look like a rope.
- After achieving the above, coil the rope-like chapati around itself. Once done it should look like a spring. Be sure not to leave any spaces though.
- Press the now spiral shaped chapati with your palm. Using a rolling pin, flatten the chapatis into medium sized circles.
- On a cooking pan on medium heat, place the rolled chapati. Cook for few seconds, until small bubbles appear on top then turn.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown. Stack them on a clean kitchen towel.
CHEF’S NOTE: Chapatis are a versatile food that can be cooked with different ingredients and served alongside with different beverages, including your favourite glass of Minute Maid Pulpy Orange. Minute Maid Pulpy Orange is packed with real fruit pulp with a delicious, thick, taste that appeals to our warm nature.