Cooking can be bonding time between parents and their children, and a lot more than just fun takes place during this time. This special time is known for nurturing the social, physical and emotional development of young ones, especially between the ages of 5- 12. The relationship lays a healthy foundation for the child’s personality, life choices and behaviour, thus strengthening their mental and emotional health as well as communication skills.
Here are 5 simple recipes that will make your bonding time delicious as well.
1. Annabel Karmel’s Strawberry Santa’s.
* 1 tablespoon of milk
* 15g of softened butter
* 15g of cream cheese
* 70g of icing sugar
* 10 large strawberries
* 10 mini white marshmallows
* Black icing pen.
* Beat the butter & cream cheese in a small bowl till creamy
* Add the milk, few drops of vanilla and sugar into the creamy mix then beat again until it’s a smooth icing.
* Transfer the icing into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle.
* Slice off the bottom of the strawberries then slice the top bit on the pointy end & place it standing up.
* Use the black pen icing pen to draw two eyes on the mini marshmallows
* Using the pipping bag, put some icing at the top part of the fruit then place the hat on it.
* Place the mini marshmallows on the pipped icing then make Santa’s beard by piping around the base of the marshmallows.
* Finally add a small amount of icing on top of the Santa’s hat to finish off the look.
2. Honey popcorn
* 10 cups of plain popped popcorn
* 3/4 cup of brown sugar
* 1/3 cup of honey.
* 2 tablespoons of butter
* Place a saucepan or pan on low heat then add brown sugar, butter and honey, stir well till the sugar completely dissolves.
* Turn off the heat then ass the popcorn to mix and stir till it’s all covered well
* Place the honey-covered popcorn on a large flat surface like a tray or large bowl to cool then serve.
3. Microwave brownies
* 1/4 cup of self-raising flour.
* 1/4 cup of caster sugar
* 2 tablespoons of cocoa
* 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
* 3 tablespoons of water
* 1/2 tablespoons of icing sugar
* Ice cream (optional)*
* Get a cup of your choice and add flour, sugar, cocoa, oil and water. Mix to a smooth mixture.
* Place the cup in the microwave for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Once done take it out to cool.
* Add a little icing sugar or ice cream of desire then serve.
4. Oreo dirt cup
* 2 cups of cold milk
* 1 package (4 oz ) chocolate instant pudding.
* 1-8 oz container, whipped topping, thawed
* 1 package (16 oz ) Oreos ( crushed into crumbs)
* Gummy worms
* 10 plastic cups.
* Add milk and pudding in a mixing bowl then whisk until completely blended for 2 minutes.
* Allow the pudding to sit for 5 minutes then stir the whipped topping into the pudding very gently until it’s the same colour.
* Put 1 tablespoon of crushed cookies into each cup creating the 1st layer then add 2 tablespoons of pudding on top. Repeat this process till the top layer is of crushed cookies.
* Finish this dirt cup by adding 2 gummy worms (or more) that have been sliced in half in the cup then put in the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour then serve.
5. Mixed fruit sundaes
* 1/4 cup of desired chopped fruits ( strawberries, raspberries, mangoes etc.)
* 1/2 cup of the desired yoghurt
* 3 teaspoons of honey
* 2 tablespoons of chopped walnut (roasted)
* Mix the fruits in a wide bowl then add the honey and properly stir.
* Put the yoghurt in another bowl then add the fruits on top and sprinkle the nuts the fruits and serve.
Feature photo: alamy.com
Looking for a delicious plan for lunch or dinner? Try this chicken recipe!