A Monday morning fire has burnt down a dormitory at Kimulot Boys High School in Bomet County.
A senior teacher told Nation that the dormitory was housing 288 students out of the 1200 learners in the whole school.
Property of unknown value was destroyed at 5 am but the cause of the fire was not immediately determined.
“The fire has been contained from spreading to other structures in the school through an effort by members of the public, students and fire marshals from the county government of Bomet,” the county disaster management officer Stanley Mutai said.
Some of the items that got burnt include blankets, mattresses, bedsheets, books and other items belonging to students.
This comes in the backdrop of another dormitory fire last week at Cheborgei Secondary School in Kericho County. Property worth millions got destroyed.
A few days before the Kericho fire, there was another fire at Olomirani Secondary School in Narok County.
Last week, Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha banned portable hand sanitisers in schools. This is because they had been used to start fires in some of the schools.
He asked teachers to confiscate all hand sanitisers from students. Teachers are the only ones allowed to have five litres of hand sanitisers.