A patient has tested positive for coronavirus in Nigeria’s Lagos state, according to the country’s health ministry.
The Italian citizen who works in Nigeria entered the country from Italy on February 25. He had been to Milan, in Italy which has now emerged as Europe coronavirus epicenter.
“The case which was confirmed on 27/02/2020 is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020,” read a Twitter post by the Ministry.
The patient has been reported to be stable with no serious symptoms, as the ministry makes effort to trace those whom the man had come into contact with.
The virus has now spread to more than 40 countries, with 83,000 cases as of today. Efforts are being made to control it, as it continues to disrupt travel and the economy,
The following are symptoms of corona virus:
- Breathing problems
- It can escalate to viral pneumonia which can then cause organ failure and fatalities.
The following measures have been suggested as means to prevent contraction and spread of the disease:
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently
- Avoid touching your face
- Maintain a distance of 0.5 – 2m from a person who has visible symptoms
- Avoid sharing food, utensils, cups and towels
- Avoid crowds if you can
- When you touch common surfaces like hand rails, door knobs, lift buttons, bank pens, cups – do not touch your face and disinfect your hands.